Rules concerning educational process adaptations
Pursuant to Ordinance no 150 of Jagiellonian University Rector of 22 December 2020 concerning the adaptation of the educational process and scientific research to the needs of persons with disabilities and persons in special health circumstances:
- The adjustments of the educational process shall be granted upon a written request of the undergraduate or doctoral student for a single academic term or year, depending on his/her health circumstances.
- The request shall be submitted with the JU DSS, not later than a month prior to the planned date of using the adjustments. In extraordinary, particularly justified cases, it shall be allowable to submit the request after the deadline, if, given the type of the adjustment, its implementation is possible despite the lapse of the deadline.
- The request shall include up-to-date documentation confirming the student’s health condition and its relation with the adjustments sought by the applicant.
- Should the educational adviser of the JU DSS find that the documentation submitted is insufficient for the request to be examined, he/she may request the undergraduate/doctoral student to complete the documentation or attend a specialist consultation session at the JU DSS at a date specified by the JU DSS.
- The Service may issue a negative opinion on an undergraduate/doctoral student’s request, if the documentation submitted and/or the outcome of the specialist consultation held at the JU DSS fails to confirm the relation between the type of disability or health condition and the difficulties in the fulfilment of the obligations related to educational process implementation by the student.
- After issuing its opinion, the JU DSS shall without delay send the request to the dean of the relevant faculty or the head of the PhD studies.
- The decision as to the granting of the adjustments shall be made by:
- 1) as regards undergraduate students – the dean of the relevant faculty or a person acting upon his/her authorisation, and
- as regards doctoral students – the head of the PhD studies.
- The decision shall be notified to the student by a relevant dean’s office or secretariat of the University unit managing the PhD studies.
- A copy of the decision shall be duly delivered to the JU DSS as well as to the relevant dean’s office or secretariat of the University unit managing the PhD studies so as to ensure the feasibility of the implementation of the adjustments. Having received the decision, the JU DSS shall send detailed recommendations concerning the adjustments to be made granted to the student to a relevant dean’s office or secretariat of the University unit managing the PhD studies.
- The dean’s office or secretariat of the University unit managing the PhD studies shall send the recommendations to the academic teachers or persons delivering the courses/lectures attended by the student.
- Once the dean’s office/secretariat has sent recommendations for lecturers/teachers and examiners, the undergraduate/doctoral student shall agree with them organisational details concerning the delivery of individual adjustments.
- Each request for educational process adaptation shall be examined on an individual basis, duly respecting the notion of ensuring equal educational opportunities and reasonable adjustments to the needs stemming from a disability.
- All the persons taking part in the procedure of granting adjustments of the educational process shall be obliged to protect the sensitive data related to the disability or health condition of the person applying for the adjustments as well as not to reveal it to unauthorised parties. Detailed documentation submitted by the person applying for the adjustments, including specialist documentation, shall be kept at the JU DSS and may be shown, with written consent of the person applying for adjustments, to the dean of the relevant faculty or head of PhD studies by means of a personal meeting between the educational adviser with the dean or head of PhD studies. Should any doubts arise related to the adaptation granting process on the part of the student, that documentation may be shown to the JU Vice-Rector in charge of Education.