Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display


Web Content Display Web Content Display

Find us here:

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Mon, Tue and Thu, 10:00-15:00 hrs
Wed – internal focus day
Fri, 10:00-14:00 hrs

Web Content Display Web Content Display


Which programmes are offered at the Jagiellonian University to persons with disabilities?

Respecting the principle of inclusive education, candidates with disabilities enjoy the right to choose their university programme which matches their own interests and preferences. The JU introduces no limitations for persons with disabilities or programmes dedicated solely to them. In turn, persons with disabilities can benefit from the adapted recruitment process, study formula and examinations, with such adjustments aims at ensuring equal educational opportunities on the programme of their choice. When in doubt, please contact the DSS.

Do I have the right to a single room in a student residence as a disability certificate holder?

Students holding a disability certificate can apply for a single room, yet their disability itself is no guarantee of success. The rules for granting accommodation in single rooms are defined in separate Rules ( Applications for a single room in student residence halls of the Jagiellonian University are processed by the Commission for Granting Single-Room Accommodation managed by the JU Student Union.

I was receiving a special bursary in the previous academic year and the disability certificate that I submitted last year is still valid. Do I need to present it in person yet again?

It is not required to present a disability certificate again, if the disability-related information entered in the USOS system in previous years remain valid. However, the student must print out and sign a special bursary application for a given academic year and then furnish it to the material assistance coordinator at their university faculty.

What conditions must be met to be able to use the support offered by the DSS?   

In order to start using our support, the best option is to come to a meeting at the DSS, after making an appointment by telephone or email. During an interview with an educational adviser, it will be possible to define the scope of support which matches the disability-related needs of a given student. Individual actions taken by the DSS for students or candidates with disabilities are possible once a disability certificate and/or medical documentation confirming the presence of difficulties has been presented.

Do I need to appear at the DSS in person in order to receive support?

Yes, because the nature of the support offered is closely adjusted to the needs of a given student. Individual interviews with specific persons help the advisers best understand the health and academic circumstances of individual students. In particularly justified cases, consultation is available outside of the DSS office.

What is a leave for a past period?

Article 32 (para. 7) of the Rules and Regulations concerning first-degree studies, second-degree studies and uniform Masters studies  concerning leaves entailing absence from university classes contains the following provision: A dean’s leave may not be granted for a past period or during the examination session, unless the ground which justifies the granting of the leave originated at an earlier date.

If the student’s health condition makes it impossible for them to attend classes/lectures and meet the student’s obligations as well as sort out the situation in advance, the student may apply for a dean’s leave for a past period. One then must provide the DSS with a doctor’s attestation to confirm health deterioration in the period to which the application for a dean’s leave pertains. The application should be submitted by 30 September (NOTE: As DSS educational advisers have ten working days to issue an opinion on the application, please make an appointment ).

I am not a disability certificate holder but due to health issues my performance as a university student is suboptimal. May I contact the DSS?

Educational advisers are waiting for all those who harbour the suspicion that their health issues have an impact on learning and their performance of a student’s duties. To use the support offered by the DSS, one needs no disability certificate yet the students are kindly asked to present other medical documentation.

I experience some mental-health difficulties. May I use the support offered by the DSS?

Students who experience mental-health difficulties may use support offered by the DSS, for instance in the context of the adjusted educational process. They should apply for such support while its practical format will be suggested by an educational adviser on the basis of a personal meeting with the student and his/her medical file. The consultation takes place under conditions which guarantee discretion and all information provided by the students are treated as confidential.

Additionally, it is possible to attend a one-off  meeting with an expert in the field of mental health offered as part of the Constellation Station initiative (

Due to the nature of my disability, taking examinations and various tests in the format offered by the teachers is difficult for me. How can I apply for adapted exam/test formats?  

All adaptations are arranged in cooperation between the student involved and a DSS adviser, taking into account the nature of the disability and that of individual examinations and tests. All adaptations concern exclusively the format of examinations and tests and not the obligatory substantive content. The selected solutions will be applied after the faculty dean’s approval. As formal procedures must be applied, students are kindly asked to contact the DSS not later than four weeks prior to the scheduled examination date.   

I am a holder of a disability-degree certificate, yet my disability has no impact on my studies whatsoever. Should I contact the DSS?

It is not obligatory, yet it is worthwhile coming to the DSS without any specific expectations. Becoming familiar with the offer of support and an interview with an adviser will help better understand one’s needs and possible support options.