„Equality News" (Polish original "Wiadomości o Równości") is a series of four publications prepared by four eminent European academic centres: the Jagiellonian University of Kraków, Pierre and Marie Curie University of Paris, Charles University of Prague and Aristotle University from Thessaloniki. They all collaborate as the DARe-Learning partnership, aiming to increase the participation of disabled persons in knowledge society through their university education.
The first issue of "Equality News" focuses on access to culture. Inside the reader will find:
- Polish and foreign museums open for disabled visitors
- Historical monuments of Kraków – can they be made accessible in architectonic terms?
- Audiodescription, or how to replace images with words
- What were the origins of the "To Touch Culture" guidebook?
Published under the auspices of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage.
The electronic version of "Equality News Issue 1/2012" available [PDF]
nr 1 (2)/2013
The second issue of "Equality News" focuses on access to Internet. Published under the auspices of the Minister of Administration and Digitization. Inside the reader will find:
- E-learning Is an Opportunity for All
- Some Reflections on Internet Accessibility for Disabled Users
- Preparation of Teaching Materials Adapted to the Needs of Persons with Disabilities
- E-Textbooks Make Educational Opportunities More Equal
- French-Polish E-learning Programme for Managerial Staff as Global–Scale Innovation.
The electronic version of "Equality News Issue 1 (2)/2013" available [PDF]
nr 2 (3)/2013
The third issue of Equality News focuses mainly on the quality of education in the context of disability as it is often claimed that educational support for persons with disabilities lowers that quality. Here we showcase some specific examples suggesting to the contrary, i.e. that reasonable support for disabled students in the teaching process constitutes a part of a system aimed at high-quality university education, an excellence for which several actors are responsible including lecturers, disability support service and students.
Inside the reader will find:
- Equality in the educational process
- What is the DARe-Learning training course?
- The Equality Awareness Day at the Jagiellonian University
- Constellation Station
- An innovative project by the JU Institute of Romance Studies and the JU DSS
Published under the auspices of the Minister of Science and Higher Education.
nr 3 (4)/2013
In the fourth issue of "Equality News", the last in the series, we focus particularly on showcasing cooperation between academic teachers and the Disability Support Service in preparing adaptations of the educational process.
Inside the reader will find:
- Academic debate "About equality without going to extremes"
- Is social change possible in Poland?
- DARe-Learning: distance learning about equality
- My "other" language course: English for hard of hearing and deaf students at the Jagiellonian University
- (Non-) or disabled education? Teaching students with disabilities: an academic teacher's perspective
- Academic lesson in equality
- Integration through school and work, a fact or a myth?
Published under the auspices of the Polish Ombudsman.
The electronic version of "Equlity News Issue 3 (4)/2013" available [PDF]